Meet Etsy Seller DorisSardelisDesigns

Posted Wednesday, January 14, 2015


Today we would like to introduce you to

DorisSardelisDesigns has been selling on Etsy since March 2012, they sell beautiful clothing for boys and girls such as dresses, sunsuits, shorts and more! Today they are going to give us a little peak behind the scenes of their Etsy shop.

Light Blue Seersucker Girls Sailor Dress in 4T - 5 - 7MADE TO ORDER: Boys White and Dark Charcoal Stripe Seersucker Short with SuspendersCLEARANCE Infant Boys Two - Piece Sailor Suit in Crème with Navy Suspender Shorts - size 18 monthsBoys Sailor Sunsuit with Navy and White Pindots sizes 12 month, 18 months and  2T

What motivated you to start your shop?
I previously owned a boutique in Manhattan, NY where I sold my handmade children's clothing. It was about 35+ years ago, in the age before internet/social media/computers, so everything was done either by word of mouth or by me going out to buyers and department stores promoting my items. I had an extensive amount of roles being the only employee in my business from designing, pattern-making, cutting, sewing, tailoring, embroidering, detailing, advertising, maintaining my boutique and inventory, bookkeeping, buying fabric and trims, customer service, and creating business deals and contracts with department stores just to name some of my responsibilities. I burned myself out since it was only me! After closing my boutique in 1994, I took a long hiatus until 2012 when my daughter mentioned about her friends selling items on etsy. Since I had a large inventory of my pre-made items that I previously created for my boutique that were not moving out of my design studio, I decided to try it out and it's been great ever since!

What surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
I was surprised that I get to have a direct interaction with my customers and direct feedback. I thought online shopping was a more "anti-social" way of buying items, but that is not the case! I really like that I get to interact with my customer to ensure a perfect fit of the garment, and it gives me insight on my clientele. I would never go back to my old business ways, that's for sure!! It is a lot easier and less stressful, plus I do not have to pay to rent business space in NYC!

What is your favourite creations from your shop?
My sspecialities include sailor outfits, sundresses, sun-suits, shortalls, rompers, dresses, pantaloons, bow ties, sunhats, pants, woven blouses and special occasion clothes for boys and girls. My favorite item to make is suspender pants/shorts for boys or ring bearers, however I am most known for my sailor suits. I like to make anything that makes my customer happy that fits within my design aesthetic.

What do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
The most challenging aspect is trying to list my inventory on Etsy. I am very overwhelmed since I have approximately 1,000+ items that I previously made for my boutique and it takes a lot of time to list since I am very detail-oriented and a bit of a perfectionist.

What's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
All of my designs, fabric, trims, buttons, thread---(you name it!) are made in the USA. I make ALL of my items in my home studio in New Jersey. I do have some liberty print fabric and rare Viyella fabric from England, however it is impeccably high quality.
I do not support sweatshops or cheaply, flimsy-made fabric from overseas.
Although my pre-made designs are vintage, (made 20+ years ago), they are new since they have not been worn before.

What do you do when you aren't working?
When I'm not working I like to spend time with my family. I am a workaholic and being a children's clothing designer has always been my only profession.

Anything else you'd like to tell us or share?
I have a large inventory, so if you have any requests on size, design, color, etc. please convo me! I will search through everything to find something that you would love! : ) I do some custom orders on occasion. If interested in a size or fabric not listed, contact me on etsy and I will determine if I have the materials. I love to dress children and babies in my classic, high quality-made clothing!


Girls Pantaloon in Pink and White Check With Unique Print for Infants and ToddlersGirls Knit Romper / Pantaloon with Red Plaid Floral Print in 3T and 5Girls Blue Holiday Plaid Dress  - sizes 6 months and 4TGirls Pantaloon in Red Twill with Bear and Heart Blouse - Size 6 months and 24 months
Powered By Toastie Studio - Etsy Tools

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...